Study Guide: Are You Prepared? Part 2: Losing Your Money and Family
- Job is a very __________ person who is also very very ________ (see Job 1:1-3 compared with 1 Samuel 25:2).
- Job’s 10 kids seemed to be a bit rebellious, they liked to party, and so Job would ______________ for them— even offer sacrifices on their behalf.
- “Then Job arose, tore his robe, and shaved his head; and he fell to the ground and ________________. And he said: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked shall I return there. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; _____________ be the name of the Lord.” In all this Job did not sin nor charge God with wrong” (Job 1:20-22).
- Who struck Job? ___________ did. Who caused him to lose all of his wealth and for his 10 children to be killed? Satan did. As Jesus explained in the parable of the wheat and the tares—“An _____________ has done this” (Matthew 13:28).
- ____________ clearly taught, “The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly” (John 10:10).
- “But he said to her, ‘You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?’ In all this Job did not sin with his lips” (Job 2:10).
- “In 1860 death stepped over our threshold, and broke the youngest branch of our family tree. Little Herbert, born September 20, 1860, died December 14 of the same year. When that tender branch was broken, how our hearts did bleed none may know but those who have followed their little ones of promise to the grave. “But oh, when our noble Henry died, at the age of sixteen; when our sweet singer was borne to the grave, and we no more heard his early song, ours was a lonely home. Both parents and the two remaining sons felt the blow most keenly” (Ellen G. White, Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 1, pg. 102-103).
- “But God _______________ us in our bereavements, and with faith and courage we pressed forward in the work He had given us, in bright hope of meeting our children who had been torn from us by death, in that world where sickness and death will never come” (Ellen G. White, Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 1, pg. 102-103).
- Revelation 13:17 tells us that the day is coming when the mark of the beast will be enforced, and those who don’t have that mark will not be able to buy or sell. That means the day is coming when all of our money is useless—if we are ______________ to God, we won’t be able to buy or sell anything.
- Job was _________________ prepared to experience losing his money and his family. The Whites were spiritu- ally prepared too.
How can we be spiritually prepared for such devastating losses? Here are 2 keys:
- 1) Love and obey God daily now
Deuteronomy 10:12-13 summarizes this very well: “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways and to ________ Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, 13 and to ________ the commandments of the Lord and His statutes which I command you today for your good?”
- 2) Be faithful now, even in “little things”
Jesus said, “He who is faithful in what is __________ is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much” (Luke 16:10). Let’s trust Jesus always—no matter what happens in our lives, even if we lose our money and our family. Answers: godly, rich, intercede, worshiped, Blessed, Satan, enemy, Jesus, comforted, faithful, spiritually, love, keep, least